top of page

HASSLE required?

Many landlords make simple schoolchild errors when renting out a property- an agent may be a better option.

Many agents do this on a 'tenant find' - single fee basis or a managed basis.

If you are thinking of using an agent we can suggest one or two that are not Muppets (no offence to Kermit)

Private residential tenancies- landlord info

Private residential tenancies were introduced from any new private residential tenancy which started on or after 1st December 2017.

Renting out property without being registered with the council is a criminal offence and you can be served with a Rent Penalty Notice (which prevents you from charging your tenant rent) or fined up to £50,000 if found guilty. You are registered if you are entered into the Scottish Landlord Register prepared and maintained by the local council for the purposes of Part 8 of the Antisocial Behaviour etc. (Scotland) Act 2004

For further info on this see the Scottish Government WEBSITE (landlord info link) or DOWNLOAD

Private residential tenancies- tenant info

There are many less grounds for eviction for new tenancies- with the new agreements the landlord can no longer tell a tenant to leave for no valid reason.

For further info on this see the Scottish Government WEBSITE (tenant info)

Landlord Register

All private sector landlords must be registered to rent properties in Scotland.

Check the Scottish Government landlord register to see if your landlord is registered (post code lookup)

Legionella risk asessment

This is  required , more info on the HSE (UK Government) site

EPC - Energy Performance Certificate

There must be an Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) for your property and the landlord include the rating in any advertising.


An inventory helps all parties- if there is no inventory how can someone say a carpet is damaged or stained (for example). Photos can be altered whereas a signed inventory will be more valid (especially if it is supported by photos)

bottom of page